As the word vuvuzela is robbed of one Word of the Year prize after another, one list I’m happy not to see it make is the Lake Superior State University Banished Word List. I have to say, though, that of the words that made the list this year, none of them really made me say, “Oh yeah, I’m so happy to see that word voted off the island.”
- Viral has its place, epic is just a great word, fail is sometimes just the exact right exclamation at the end of an expression of disgust (unless what’s called for is epic-fail).
- I would live without wow factor and a-ha moment (unless I’m having an A-ha moment) and back story, I guess, but don’t find them offensive.
- BFF? Who wants to banish BFF? That’s it, I’m BFF-breaking up with you!
- Facebook and Google as verbs: to those who want to stand in the way of the verbing of such words, I say, get out of the way.
- I’m just sayin’ I like to use I’m just sayin’. So I have no problem with that. I’m just sayin’.
So you can check out the whole list, and you can also check out Jan Freeman (of Throw Grammar from the Train) on why we like to banish words that have become too popular. And what word would you like to see thrown off the island this year?